Starting fall 2014, Trinity will be offering new programming for families with young children or families that are expecting. Given the number of young children who are baptized at Trinity, having a community of young parents can be a great way to maintain ties to our congregation. Many parents with young children currently attend our Homebuilders and Trinity Young Adults Sunday School classes, but we know that there can be a need for more parental dialogue during this special time in people's lives. After all, as parents, we face many of the same questions and needs that other parents are working through, so it can be helpful to learn from each other.
The parents of young children will be gathering monthly for a discussion forum on a variety of topics. In these gatherings, we hope to have relevant resources available and encourage dialogue among parents. Watch the Weekly Vision during September for an announcement of the first meeting date and time.
Potential topics/ideas for discussion during the first few months include:
- Favorite faith-based children's books
- How to choose a childcare provider, preschool, and/or kindergarten
- How we live our faith and talk about God at home
- Teaching children how to pray
- Managing transitions (adding a new sibling, moving from a crib to a bed, moving houses, potty training, etc.)
- Setting boundaries and managing behavior
We will also be coordinating with the nursery staff to offer at least one Parents Night Out this fall, because after all, we could all use a break sometimes - or time to run errands!