October 12, 2022 | Housing and Election Season
The election is drawing near. We are celebrating our successful voter registration effort (9 of us certified to do this good work). And, I’ll say once more that we exceeded our goals!
We are grateful for the support provided through the Colorado Coalition for the Homeless and Community Resource Center. Good to know that they will continue to follow up to make sure those who registered can truly cast their votes.
Trinity’s Housing For All Allyship is non-partisan. With that in mind, we are allowed to advocate regarding ballot measures. Recently, I connected with both the Coalition and the Bell Policy Center to gain clarity on issues on the ballot that directly affect our work.
I pulled the summary information from the Coalition’s guide to give you a quick source below:
Coalition Proposition Positions
NO. PROPOSITION 121: STATE INCOME TAX RATE REDUCTION MEASURE TYPE: VOTE NEEDED TO PASS: CITIZEN INITIATED STATE STATUTE SIMPLE MAJORITY
This initiative would decrease the state income tax rate from 4.55% to 4.40%. WHY WE OPPOSE: CCH opposes this measure because it would dramatically reduce General Fund revenue critical for government operations, including services for low-income and unhoused individuals and families, mental health resources, and education. The revenue reduction for state budget year 2023-24 is projected at $412.6 million or 2.4 percent. Most of the measure’s benefits would go to a small population of very wealthy taxpayers, including corporations.
YES. PROPOSITION 123: DEDICATE REVENUE FOR AFFORDABLE HOUSING PROGRAMS MEASURE TYPE: VOTE NEEDED TO PASS: CITIZEN INITIATED STATE STATUTE SIMPLE MAJORITY
This measure would create the State Affordable Housing Fund and dedicate a portion (.1%) of state income tax revenue to affordable housing programs and projects. Most (60%) of the funding would go towards affordable housing financing programs that will reduce rents, purchasing land for affordable housing development, and building assets for renters. The remaining 40% would support affordable home ownership, people experiencing homelessness, and local planning capacity. It would also require local governments that seek additional affordable housing funding to expedite approvals for affordable housing projects and commit to increasing affordable housing by 3% annually. Affordable rental housing would serve households making up to 60% of the area median income (AMI) and homeownership resources would serve households making up to 120% of AMI.
CCH supports this measure because it provides substantial funding to promote and expand affordable housing. This mechanism could generate $300 million annually to build 170,000 affordable homes without raising taxes. It would be the first statefunded investment in homelessness programs and solutions, with approximately $54 million being made available annually across the state. The funding would transform Colorado’s housing landscape.
YES. QUESTION 2K: HOMELESSNESS RESOLUTION FUND ISSUE: HOMELESSNESS
This measure would allow the City to spend the 2021 revenues derived from the 0.25% homelessness resolution sales and use tax originally approved by the voters on November 3, 2020. It would also allow for the continuation and collection of the tax at the 0.25% level approved by voters. This tax funds the Homelessness Resolution Fund which raises roughly $40 million annually to support housing, shelter, and services for people experiencing homelessness. The funding has paid for shelter services, housing, support and services like case management, and COVID emergency response-related housing and shelter services.
CCH supports this measure because it provides important funding for Denver’s Office of Housing Stability (HOST) to continue their work to resolve homelessness in alignment with their approved plans. Without voter approval, the amount available for these purposes will decrease and harm efforts to meaningfully address the homelessness crisis in Denver.
The full Colorado Coalition Ballot Guide can be found at https://www.coloradocoalition.org/sites/default/files/2022-10/CCH_2022_BallotGuide.pdf
A Zoom session led by Joshua Mantell from the Bell Policy Center also recommended a No on Proposition 121 and a Yes on Proposition 123. You can make use of their analysis on these two issues plus others in their Ballot Guide found at https://www.bellpolicy.org/2022/10/05/2022ballotguide/
I’m guessing many of you are involved in your own efforts related to the critical election we face on November 8. Please let us know any other good sources of information on ballot measures you recommend that will help us with our voting decisions.
Grateful to be a part of Trinity’s Housing for All,